Saturday, November 17, 2012

More on Students vs. Learners

I just got done talking to one of my favorite former students (are we allowed to say we have favorites?) whose comments made me revisit the idea of Students vs. Learners again. She is a taking an honors level English class where the teacher has given her a prompt, some general guidelines, and instructed them to create a research paper and project around the topic--all while documenting their learning in a journal each class period (sound familiar?).

And she is struggling... big time. She feels lost, wants more guidance, and even told me, "I just want to be told what to do! I'm scared I'm doing it wrong."

I feel her pain. She is the epitome of a 'student'--hard working, always studying, completing the task requirements to a "T"-- and she has never really had to learn in this way before. Had she told me this even a month ago I might have told her how unfair her assignment was and how the teacher should be giving her more guidance. But today I gave her a very different answer:

"Your teacher is trying to make you be a 'learner' instead of a 'student.' It's uncomfortable, isn't it? But you'll learn so much more by exploring on your own, solving your own problems, and discovering new information than you would if you were being told what to do. I promise! Have faith. You're a brillant girl and you will do awesome on this if you just let yourself be comfortable with the unknown."

But along with this advice I pray that the teacher is fulfilling her role in this learning process as well. I pray that she is guiding them, supporting them, and giving just enough assistance so that students like mine can be successful and not give up because it's too challenging or too big of a change. It's difficult to go from a student mindset to a learner's, especially if you've never done it before, and the worst thing her teacher could do is to drop her into this ocean of learning and turn away, trusting that the student will figure out how to swim--some may but others risk drowning from the shock.

The role of the teacher is so much more important in this type of learning environment and requires a vast amount of awareness on the educator's part--knowing when to step in and when to back off, what kinds of questions to ask to promote deeper thinking without leading them too much, and modeling the type of behaviors that should be used throughout the process. This kind of knowledge is developed over time through experience, but I also wonder what we can do to better prepare educators to think in this way. Is this something that we can try to foster in the teacher education programs? Or do we just learn it on the job?

Either way, I know that my former student may not be happy right now with this shift in the classroom, but I'm excited to see how she feels and what she's learned when it's all said and done--if she's intelligent as a 'student' now, I can't wait to see how much she can do as a 'learner.'




4 comments:

  1. First of all I am so happy that this student is contacting you and telling you her feelings even if you are far from her and not her teacher.
    I think smart students has to be challenged to be a learner, it might be harder for them and they will not succeed from the first time. but as you said the teacher must scaffold them and support them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, The uncertainty this student feels does feel very familiar! Part of the difficulty may also revolve around how her contribution will be assessed. I certainly don't think that a word-count or other checklist approach is useful, but, like you, I hope that her teacher either mentors well along the way, or at least describes the project in terms of learning outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maureen,
    How awesome that you were able to discuss this topic with your former student. I think that student must feel reassurance knowing that even her former teacher has had to struggle with a similar experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a positive experience for your student to have - knowing that you have felt the same thing.That will help her hang in there!

    ReplyDelete