Friday, November 2, 2012

Proof of Learning

What have I learned so far? 
What a loaded question! :-P I feel like I've learned a lot so far, about both myself and technology. Through this class and in cultivating my PLN I've learned that:
  • I like routine and expectations, but if I push myself I can overcome that and be more of a learner than a student.
  • I don't always need to rely on someone to show me how to do something online/"techie"--When in doubt, Google it! :) I'm more confident in my computer problem solving skills that ever before yet know that there's soooo much still to learn in many different areas.
  • Twitter is not the "useless social networking tool to tell people what you're eating that day" that I thought it was. I've found some really great resources and inspiration there, and can't wait to get back in the classroom to try them out!
  • it's important to not get overwhelmed with the massive amounts of information and 'time suck' out there. If I only have a short period of time that day, then I use it and leave it at that. Sometimes that means starting blog posts one day and finishing them the next, or not going through a whole column feed and maybe missing something really cool--but that's ok! I can't use it all but I can find some use for some.
  • documenting learning experiences and cultivating materials are essential for using this information in the future. As I find great ideas or analyze how I want to change my teaching, I want to be able to look back and remember what these inspirations were. Blogging, Tweeting, and Diigo seem like great venues for this that I would have not considered before.
  • what I create doesn't have to be perfect--I just need to put it out there and see what happens. Sometimes a tons of people will read it or comment on it, and other times it just sits there...and that's ok. (Though I'm not gonna lie, I love getting comments and retweets :) ) 
There are a lot more specifics (like how to subtitle a video or what cool things you can do with Google Apps) as well as ideas/concepts that have been analyzed (filters, passion, communities of practices) but I feel like the overarching 'learning' can't always be written down as neatly labeled pieces--it's hopefully much broader and deeper than that.

What my learning tends to look like

My Learning Process:
I wouldn't consider this a list that "all students" should follow for this class per se--but rather my weekly personal steps for fostering technology learning this semester. So far my usual week looks like this:
  • Take at least 5 minutes in the morning and/or before I go to bed to check Twitter and retweet anything that catches my eye (though lately it has been a lot more than 5 minutes).
  • Look at my Zite 'magaizine' on my ipad once a day or every couple of days to look for articles of interest to me (Education, Running, Cooking, Languages, etc) and tweet them out when helpful.
  • Use info from my other classes/peers' posts/Twitter finds to spur on at least one original, unprompted blog post a week.
  • Try to dedicate 1 hour a week or so to my Twenty-percent project and its write-up (though that may not happen this week due to my video editing explorations).
  • Work on whatever class reading/assignment we were encouraged to do that week.
  • Comment on others' posts when I can. 
If I had to put a 'time frame' around the outside classwork I have done it's been around the 3-4 hours a week range minimum, though I often get distracted on Twitter or Facebook or get really into working on something and it ends up being a lot more--I honestly have a hard time putting an estimate on it because I do quite a lot on my phone and computer, combining it with other classwork and just plain screwing around, so my usage time frames are a bit more random. 

I also realize that I am a full-time student this semester, without kids or a part-time job besides studying and normal housework things--so even though I find ways to keep myself quite busy (my class load is a bit intense at times) I know that may have more time than most to invest in some of these venues.

This is a just a half-way-ish reflection of learning up until this point--I hope there are many more things I can add to these lists before the semester is over. 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing with us your tips to build up your PLN .. Stating them this way in points helps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, I am similar in that sometimes I start blog posts, but then walk away from them and finish them at another time. I find that it is a motivation and encouraging to know that I already have some idea for a blog post, and then I can always just finish it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also learned that it is okay not to be perfect. Cultivating my PLN has increased my risk taking and put my ideas out there.
    I am interested in trying out Zite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the twitter has been one of the most amazing tool. I have found resources without even wanting to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips, Maureen. It does seem that a recurring theme in several people's posts has been to make these things a part of your routine. There are definitely things in your list that I'd love to be doing. Thanks for your insights!

    ReplyDelete