Thursday, October 18, 2012

Living in a Bubble (A Filter Bubble, That Is)

Have you ever stopped to think about whether you "live in a bubble" or not? I often have, especially because of growing up in a small, Midwestern town and attending a small, private, Midwestern college. It was easy at times to forget that there was a world around you that had very different realities and opinions than the one you were currently in--until you got shocked back to the real world by some event or comment that allowed you to look outside of your situation once again. Sometimes these bubbles we live in are of our own choosing, but other times they are completely out of our control. 

Have you ever thought that your online interactions could be putting you in a bubble? Allowing only certain bits of information in and keeping much more out? Take a minute to watch the TED talk below where Eli Pariser talks about "Online Filter Bubbles" and let it sink in for a bit. 


Whoa.... talk about living in a bubble! I knew that preferences and algorithms focused our online experience but I had no idea to what extent before watching this clip.  
This really got me thinking about what kind of filter bubble I am living in today. I don’t want to only receive certain types of information just because I ‘liked’ a friend’s Facebook post or clicked on something first. It also made me think about how having multiple people share my personal computer (e.g. my husband, sister, friends) can influence the types of information coming my way. My husband loves comics and action figures, but that doesn't mean that I want Google to update this into one of my preferred topics of interest. 

With as much as we focus on on trying to get students to develop a critical literacy with text and information it’s crazy to think that we ourselves are being limited to the kinds of information we have access to, perhaps without even knowing it. The idea of the Internet giving us what we want to see and maybe not what we need to see, as Pariser said, can be dangerous in that we are not becoming fully informed on topics, or even aware that they exist--and this lack of knowledge could perpetuate the uninformed, one-sided, "bubble" mindset that we hope to avoid.

So, what do we do? Can we even do anything about it? That, I am honestly not sure of. I do know that I want to see what else is out there, good and bad, and decide for myself whether or not it is relevant to me. Otherwise, how else can we learn?

What are your thoughts on this? Feel free to comment below--I'd love to hear other people's reactions or insights they might have on this!

2 comments:

  1. I really like your title! Also, I enjoyed reading your reflection on your college experience as a bit of a "bubble." It made me think about my LMU experience on the "bluff" as we called it. Sometimes, it was so easy to forget we were in Los Angeles. That right down the street there were men looking for work at the Home Depot, and a little further down the street there was a Homeless Shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you talked about living in a bubble, I was able to connect because I went to a private school, which put me in my own little bubble. Our filter bubbles on the Internet kind of scare me because I am not in control anymore, but rather someone else is creating a version of me based on assumptions of what I like and click on. Its very interesting.

    ReplyDelete