Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Swallowed by the Google Search Machine

Google me.... it's harder than you (and I) would have thought! Watch the short video below to see why:
When doing this name search assignment I decided to do a video screencast rather than individual screenshot images because I had four different searches I wanted to accomplish--my current name, my maiden name, my professional name (Sra. Taylor), and my newly decided upon web presence name (SraTaylor10). 
The searches proved that I am much less present on the web than I thought I was, much more of a visitor rather than a resident. I think this is partly due to all of my personas over the past few years and a lot to do with not having an established web presence "handle."
Reflecting on this I have strangely mixed feelings. One one hand it's kind of nice knowing that I'm not usually the first thing that comes up in a Google search. It gives me a sense of privacy and security (perhaps a false sense, but a sense nonetheless). On the other hand, I'm proud of my accomplishments--both professionally and personally--and it makes me a little sad to know that those are hidden away unless you really know how to find them. 
But since changing these things from the past is impossible, I'm looking forward to going ahead my new web presence name as I further integrate myself online and seeing how it will help centralize my current internet persona. Hopefully it will strengthen and help foster my move toward the resident side of the spectrum, at least in the professional realm.  

6 comments:

  1. I loved your idea of including a video search SraTaylor10;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job of incorporating technology into everything you are doing! You have to share how you did this?

    I ask because I also had multiple searches with my maiden and married name :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd be happy to show you in class sometime! I used SnagIt to do the video screen-capture. I put the link on edmodo along with a helpful 'tip' :)

      Delete
  3. maureen, I am always impressed at how many different things - videos, graphics, etc - you place in your posts. It makes them visually interesting and more fun to read. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like adding something in each time--text can look so plain sometimes, ya know?

      Delete